Terms & Conditions
I agree to the following terms regarding my participation as a Foster Parent for Bay Area Alliance for Animals:
1. Subject to the remainder of the terms set forth herein, I agree to provide a temporary home for the animal(s) for the agreed upon foster period. All identification tags will remain on the foster animal(s) for the entire foster period. I understand that I am responsible for providing daily food, water, exercise, shelter, and affection for my foster animal(s).
2. In the case of a medical emergency, I will contact the Foster Care Coordinator and will obtain immediate veterinary care at the clinic approved by Bay Area Alliance for Animals (A4A). The medical fees will be paid for by A4A. I, as the Foster Parent, am responsible to get the medical records to the Foster Care Coordinator within 48 hours of treatment. The emergency clinic is Adobe Animal Hospital in Los Altos (4470 El Camino Real)
3. If I encounter behavior concerns with my foster animal(s), I will contact the Foster Care Coordinator. I understand that foster animals often have unknown medical and behavior histories and may show behaviors in one home that they may not show in another home. I agree to work through these issues to the best of my ability. If concerns are beyond my ability, I will work with A4A to find a more appropriate foster home.
4. If I need to return the foster animal(s) before the end of the agreed-upon foster period I will contact the Foster Care Coordinator and give A4A at least 72 hours to find another foster home for the animal.
5. All foster cats must be kept inside only.
6. I understand I am responsible for finding alternate care for the foster animal(s) if I go out of town. I will give the FHC at least 72 hours notice and provide them with the alternate care person’s contact information. I am responsible for the well-being of my foster animal(s) at all times.
7. I will give the Foster Home Coordinator 48 hours notice when I need more supplies. I understand that I will meet the FHC at Pet Food Express in Redwood City (372 Woodside Rd.) or another agreed upon location during normal business hours (Monday-Friday 9am to 5 pm) to pick up said supplies.
8. As the foster parent, I understand that I have first choice to adopt my foster animal(s). If I choose to do so, I will alert the Foster Care Coordinator to begin the process of adoption. I understand that if I do not alert the Foster Care Coordinator of my desire to adopt by the time of neuter, the foster animal(s) is/are considered available for other adopters and will be required to attend events and be available for potential adopters to meet. Once an adoption is in process, I will be unable to adopt my foster animal(s). I agree to surrender my foster animal(s) upon notification that an adoption has been approved.
9. I understand that part of the responsibility of a foster parent is to feature my foster animal(s) for adoption in my own neighborhood and with my friends and family. Because I know the animal(s) the best, I can help answer questions for potential adopters and will set up meet and greets as requested by the Foster Care Coordinator.
10. I understand that it is part of my responsibility to take the animal(s) to the pre-determined veterinarian for all medical appointments (ie. vaccinations, spay/neuter surgery, etc). The FHC will work as hard as possible to make appointments around my schedule. The clinics we usually use are both in Redwood City but reserve the right to change the location.
11. I understand that it is part of my responsibility to take the foster animal(s) to the designated adoption events. The FHC will work hard to give me as much notice as possible for these events, which usually happen on weekends for a few hours at a time until the animal(s) is/are adopted. Adoption events occur in San Mateo County cities.
12. By signing this agreement I consent to the performance of a home check by A4A staff prior to my taking the foster animal home. I also consent to home checks during the foster period upon 24 hours’ notice.
13. I understand that my foster animal(s) is/are owned by Bay Area Alliance for Animals and can be removed from my care at any time by A4A, in its sole discretion, for any reason or no reason. I agree to surrender my foster animal to A4A upon receiving notification of the termination of the foster agreement.
14. I understand that any animal, including the foster animal(s), may pose a risk of injury, death, illness, or damage to me, my family, other persons, or to personal property. I voluntarily and knowingly assume any and all risks associated with my agreement to act as a foster parent, including the risk of injury, death, illness or damage.
15. I hereby waive and release Bay Area Alliance for Animals, its board members, directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, and volunteers, from any claims, causes of action or liability for any injury, illness, or damage to self, other persons, or property once the animal(s) is/are in my foster care.
16. I have read this Release Agreement and fully understand that I will relinquish all claims or actions known now or in the future against Bay Area Alliance for Animals, its board members, directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, and volunteers. I am of legal age and legally competent to sign this agreement. I am signing this agreement of my own free will without the influence of a Bay Area Alliance for Animals staff member. It is expressly understood and agreed that I am hereby waiving and surrendering my rights pursuant to Section 1542 of the Civil Code of the State of California, which provides as follows: “A general release does not extend to claims which a creditor does not know or suspect exist in his favor at the time of executing the release, which if known by him must have materially affected his settlement with the debtor.”
By signing below, I acknowledge that the information provided on this application is correct to the best of my knowledge. If at any time the information I have provided changes, I will provide the updated information to the organizations Foster Care Program. By signing my name I agree to the above stated terms and conditions.